Thursday, August 27, 2015

June 15, 2015 Sorrento to Ancona, Ferry to Greece

It's a nice day for a bus ride!! Today we headed back north and to the other side of the boot. In Ancona we caught an overnight ferry to Igoumenista, Greece. It was a beautiful drive, but on a sad note, it's our final day with our bus driver George. We really loved him.


We crossed the Apennine Mountains again, the are just gorgeous. Green mountains, lush valleys, winding roads and lots of agriculture. Italy is a beautiful place, I was sad to leave so soon.

On a TRULY thrilling note, around 130pm we were in the neighborhood of the Gran Sasso (great rock) Research Institute where, in underground laboratories, they are studying neutrinos being beamed, yes BEAMED, from the CERN Super Proton Synchrotron particle accelerator in Switzerland (almost 500 miles away).

I KNOW. Take a moment. I myself need to pause for a residual swoon.



 look at all the scooter people!



 i also have a tunnel thing.


that's George.

George dropped us at the ferry terminal where we had to bid him adieu. I'm fairly certain, after 2 weeks with us, he would not miss us as much we missed him.


 Cody attempting to coach me through a selfie.
 those are full size semis on that boat. 2 levels of them mind you.
 waiting to load.
pretty sweet ride.
pretty sweet view. 

So now here's where things go sideways. Not in world-peace threatening sort of way (mostly), but I do believe we owe people from several continents abject apologies. Karen & I sang Karoake. and not just any song, an 8 and half minute song. 

also, "sang" is not exactly the right word. 

"Oh, you're one of those girls from last night."
(thought my days of hearing THAT were over!)

Aside from the trauma we inflicted, everyone had a fantastic time on the ferry. We danced the night away in the discotheque, met some cool folks from Croatia and in the morning we were in Greece!

 Marc and Benny helped warm the crowd up for us.
 No one took pictures of us, but i think they needed both hands to cover their ears. 

Eric had some sweet moves, shocking as I didn't know that was possible with anyone related to me.



No comments: